Tuesday, April 22, 2008

When did I become "Mom"

Those of you who know Joshua will get a kick out of this one. Joshua's verbal skills leave a lot to be desired. Anyway, I am now Mom. When did 4 y/o start saying Mom and not Mommy. If I ask him what my name is, he says Mommy. But when he is calling for me in the house it is "mom." The kid kills me.

Now for some venting. We were planning on sending Joshua to a summer program at a school for kids with speech delays. I have mentioned it before on this blog. This school is a special needs school for kids w/ speech delays of average to above average intelligence. We found it and thought the program sounded perfect for Josh. He is quite smart (doing work of kinder kiddos)but is delayed in speech about 1 1/2 years. That being said, I think he has gained about six months in the past six weeks. He is making great strides. So, yesterday I get a call from the placement person at this school for the summer program. She tells me that she needs to observe Josh to see if he is a good fit for their school. I asked her what her concerns with him were. She said that his speech is too delayed for them. She did not feel he was high enough functioning. They only generally take kids with 1 year speech delay. I could not believe my ears. Kids with only 1 year speech delay do not need a special ed school IMO. I was sooooo angry and I have only gotten angrier today. Needless to say, I do not plan on sending him to that school this summer. I had considered sending him there next year if the summer went well. Whew, just saved myself $20k. We have many fun filled activities planned for him this summer. So no worries.

No comments: