Sunday, April 6, 2008

VN adoption story from years ago

I was at a client's house yesterday. This is a Vietnamese family that has been in the US about 15 years. As the meeting was pretty much over, they asked how the adoption was progressing. When we began the process, this individual warned me about corruption over there. I at the time assured them that the adoption would be fine. HA HA at my naivety. We I basically gave a thumbnail sketch of what is going on right now and that the adoption most likely will not happen at least for a few years.

Anyway, he told me a story from when they still lived in VN. He grew up in a small providence in Southern VN (not sure which one). One day his uncle and cousins were working in the field. A French Couple pulled their car over and looked over the family. They said they wanted to adopt one of the cousins. And they did! Can you believe that? I know I must have had a shocked look on my face b/c he explained his uncle's rational. He said he did it out of love. He knew the child would have the world at their feet whereas they would have nothing in VN. I can't even fathom making a decision like that. We also talked about the cultural issues with the US going in for the investigations. He said he has seen the US investigate things in VN. They go in with the attitude that the VN are guilty and need to prove innocence. Not the other way around. This family is pro-US, loves living here and will never move back. He was just relating what he observed in the past. Pretty heavy stuff!

Well, the first family from our agency has withdraw their dossier from VN. It is sad but totally understandable. We are going to hold out a bit longer but we shall have to see.

No comments: