Friday, April 11, 2008

Plan B

We are starting Plan B but not before I almost said enough is enough.

Let me explain--

We met with Catholic Charities about the foster to adopt and did not walk away super happy. So, I went to a bigger agency to talk about their program and left there disgusted. One of the recruiter started yelling at a potential foster parent. It was totally inappropriate and unprofessional. Catholic Charities did not look so bad. I set up expectations for people (which they usually have no idea about) and if they fall short I am done. I had been calling and emailing the recruiter for the infant adoption program at CC for a couple of weeks to no avail. In my head, I thought I would call one more time and if they did not answer or get back with me that day I was done w/ CC. I call the recruiter and she answers. It was even lunch time - was I trying to sabatoge? We set up a meeting for this past Wednesday. Even with this meeting scheduled, I was really starting to believe that we should do the foster to adopt program. I email the recruiter from that program a list on questions/concerns I wanted answered. She emailed that she would call me the next day. SHE DID. I was a bit shocked. But to my shock and horror, she said the dreaded words. "Christy, you probably want to go just the foster route and not the foster-to-adopt, b/c a judge probably will not pick you because you have a child." The recruiter said we should just foster and hope the child becomes available for adoption. The odds are not as good in this program but not unheard of. If one more person in the adoption world tells me that we won't be chosen b/c we have a child, I will punch them in the face. (Jenn, that was for your benefit.) That is part of the reason we originally chose IA. That was Tuesday night and I was DONE!!!!! I was so aggrivated I told Mitch that I guess we were only meant to have one child and adoption was off of the table. He looked at me like I was a crazy woman and told me I should at least keep the meeting on Wednesday for the infant adoption program.

Wednesday morning I head downtown to Catholic Charities, again. I really had no expectations. I met with the recruiter for the infant program. She was much more agreeable to use the paperwork we put together for VN adoption. We can use or home study :), our background checks :), reference letters :), and physicals :). So I must say this was a very productive meeting. She did not freak out when I told her we were keeping our dossier in VN. I addressed my concern about communication and impressed to her how important it is to me. Since Wed, we have communicated several times w/ questions about our paperwork. I will be bringing Catholic Charities our paperwork next week. So, this weekend we will be writing our "Dear Birthmother" letters and putting together our portfolio. I really do not want to get our hopes up but it is hard not to.

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS DID I EVER DREAM THAT WE WOULD BE IN THE PROCESS OF TWO ADOPTIONS AT ONE TIME!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

It sounds like things are turning around for you - don't give up!!! I really hope things work out for you with CC and then who knows what will happen with the VN program. Hang in there and keep the faith that you were meant to have more than 1 child.

HappyAutisticMama said...

See you at the CC class! I'm really sorry about the VN program, and all those kids affected. As you probably saw, I stopped having communication problems, too, so hopefully it was just a temporary thing.