Friday, February 15, 2008

Standards of Practices for Agencies (for Vietnam)/Josh turns 4 on Monday

JCICS (an advocacy/policy group) finally released their Standards of Practice. It has/will be talked about by far more knowledgeable people in the adoption world (VVAI) than I, so I wont get into any specifics. But for those of our friends and family who read this blog, I will give the very thumb nail sketch version. The MOU (agreement between the two countries) need to be in the works by March. JCICS is wanting to get its members (agencies) to sign the Standards they have written which will be making the process among agencies pretty black and white. I guess by getting the agencies to sign this agreement, they can in turn go to the DOS and show the commitment on our side of continuing VN adoptions.


Joshua turns 4 years old on Monday (18th). Wow how the time passes. Little boo is bouncing off of every wall tonight b/c he got a steroid shot this afternoon. He has the croup. :( He was up coughing all last night. It is that horrible hoarse cough where you are wondering if he can breath. We went to get his inhaler and guess what the meds were expired. Thank goodness we made it through the night without it. He does not have to use it often, obviously. Even when we try to use the spacer, he fights it with all of his being. So, needless to say even when we have the unexpired med it does not do much good. Anyway, New Rx from doc today. I try not to go with Josh to the doctor alone. I can do it but it is VERY hard. I am actually able to talk to the doctor when Joshua has decided he has been there long enough and HAS to leave. When he starts asking for the elevator, my mom can take him. I know the doctor (who is VERY patient with Josh) sees Josh's name on his list and must think -- Oh NO. While waiting for the doc, Josh is all over the office. Will not stay in his room. Doc would see him and ask him oh so nicely to go back in his room. With no luck. But I must say that once the doc came in today, he let him examine him. Usually the stethoscope scares him. But since he got a medical kit for Christmas, he plays doctor. That did the trick.
***reading over the post I sound like such a wuss. People (as I prob would not knowing me) will think, omg she can't control her kid. I promise I am not a push over. Actually, quite the opposite. I have met my match with Joshua. I have learned to pick my battles with this little one.

**After reading Nikki's post on VVAI, I may be naive about these SOP making the rules black and white in the VN adoption world. Oh well, I am still new to this game.

No comments: