Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's official --- I am not the brightest bulb in the pack!

I am not brand new to the blog world but have not ventured out past the adoption world (until today).

I really have not gone into much detail about what we have been dealing with in regards to Joshua. I have given glimpses but after all this is our adoption blog not our "the challenges we have with our son" blog. But the adoption is going slowly and our lives go on regardless. I know I have posted before about how premature Josh was. Yes, he is our miracle baby. Well life with a preemie four years later is challenging. No matter what the issues your preemie is facing - there almost always seem to be issues, it is always challenging. I am not talking about kiddos a few weeks early; I am talking about LBW (low birth weight) babies. Reminder, Josh was 1lb 8.8ozs at birth. A few issues we dealt with was on oxygen for 13 months, a grade 2 bi-lateral brain bleed (which resulted in a diagnosis of mild cerebral palsy at 8 months old), eye surgery, hole in his heart and list can go on and on. I must say that he is medically really pretty healthy besides the asthma. One thing we have been dealing with very early on (on top of the developmental delays) are sensory issues. The problem is a lot of preemie issues mirror Autism but usually preemies out grow the issues. Well, my question is at what point should the issues be outgrown by? The doctors seem to think he should be caught up by now. HaHa. I promise I am going somewhere by this ramble. By talking to a blog lurker (yes Christie I am talking about you) at a birthday party today, I think to search blogs of older preemie kiddos. Genius I know. I have found several good blogs that can give me insight as to what we have to look forward to and deal with over the next several years. I probably will start posting more about the issues with the little one b/c it feels good to vent (Jen and Jen are probably tired of hearing my rants/venting). Also, if anyone has insight on issues please comment and maybe what we go through can help others.

So as too the title of the post. Why had I never thought to search other types of blogs? B/c I am not the brightest bulb in the pack. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it is genius! You can vent anytime to me but I certainly don't have any answers for you but I love talking about Joshie anytime. Let me know what you learn.