Saturday, March 29, 2008

Referrals finally made it to the agency

The LNI long awaited referrals made their way to the families about mid March. I am extremely happy for Kristin and the other family that received their referral. That being said I am also a bit sad. I almost hurts more that we are moving up on the list to just to not have the adoption happen. I also have been getting a bit teary whenever I see a little girl that is Vietnamese. Houston has a large Vietnamese population here so it happens quite a bit. I am a very practical person and never imagined that I would be this emotional invested in a little girl halfway around the world of whom we do not know. I am working through the reality that this adoption may never happen. We do plan on keeping our dossier logged in. When adoption resume in a year or two or three, we will have to see. I hope when that happens it will work out for us.

As I stated in a previous post, we went to Catholic Charities this week for their info meeting. Guess what? A light from heaven did not beam down on the building when we drove up.:) It is actually funny how things can change in 2 years. When we talked to them 2 yrs ago about infant adoption, I knew when we started the process this was our agency. Not so much anymore. I have left several messages for the infant adoption coordinator as well as email. I have received one email from her stating she would love to meet with us anytime and to call her anytime to set it up. That would be ok if she would ever return our phone call. So I am seeing communication will most likely be an issue. We also are looking in their foster to adopt program. That is really what the meeting this week was for. Well, the coordinator for that program does not listen. Every thing they need is what we put together for the dossier. So, in a break I asked her about the paperwork I already had put together and that we already had a homestudy. She pretty much cut me off and told me I would have to start over. I tried to tell her that our homestudy was done by a TX MSW and that it has in it everything that she had been talking about. Would not listen and then freaked out when I said we were going to keep our dossier in VN. I meet with another agency on Monday. We'll see how that goes. So who knows at this point what Plan B will be! Wish I did not need one.

1 comment:

HappyAutisticMama said...

I was at that meeting, too! Small world:-) I'm the blonde who was in the back with my husband. I was searching blogs to see if anyone had posted anything about agencies we're looking into for domestic adoption and, since you had Catholic Charities in the blog, it came up. So, anyway, that's how I stumbled upon this blog.
I'm glad you mentioned your communication problem with them--I wondered if I was the only one. My husband and I were seriously considering adopting a waiting child until she said that they wouldn't even do a homestudy unless you were open to an 8-year-old. That eliminated us right away and now we want to go domestic infant for sure.
Since we knew, at that point, that we wanted to go for the infant program, we put on our blue sheet that we wanted the infant program coordinator to call. Well, the lady who ran the meeting called me a couple days later but we still, two weeks later, have not had any communication from the infant program coordinator. While we liked the lady at the meeting OK I've been put off by the total lack of communication by the other woman. Based on that, and someone else having the same issue, we're going to eliminate them from our list of possible domestic-program agencies. When we are ready to adopt a waiting child we may use Catholic Charities but not now. Adoption is stressful enough without waiting for someone to call just to learn more in my opinion.
Sorry for the novel! Anyway, I'm sorry for your troubles with Vietnam. I know some other women online who are having similar problems. It's so much heartache on top of, in many cases, the heartache that can lead people to adoption in the first place. My husband and I had considered international, and I still love the idea of Ethiopia, but the experiences of people trying to adopt from Guatemala, Vietnam, and Columbia have discouraged us too much for now. It's so sad, though, as those children need homes so badly:-(
Anyway, Good luck and God bless!